john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

2014 cross trek -- the ABS light, assist light, and traction

Customer Question

2014 cross trek -- the ABS light, hill assist light, and traction lights came on while on a hill at a stop light. stopped at a gas station and the vehicle wouldn't turn over until i down shifted twice..
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: the three mentioned above.. traction on, hill assist, abs light
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was able to downshift twice and get the vehicle to start, now just driving til in a bigger city.. I'm doing research for my sister who is traveling from colorado to arizona when this happened
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 15 days ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. what do you mean would not turn over?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

what do you mean would not turn over?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My sister in law was on a hill when those three lights came on and stayed on. She stopped shortly after to get gas and when she went to start the vehicle, it made a clicking noise and then did not start. She saw an indicator that she should downshift, so she did twice and the vehicle started, but she's concerned there is a problem because she was using the vehicle in its automatic system when the lights turned on and before she turned the vehicle off at the gas station

?are the warning lights currently on

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
from what I've read, most people were able to turn their vehicle off and those lights would turn off, but that wasn't the case for her. when she turned the vehicle off after the lights came on she had difficulty restarting. she's between colorado and arizona and needs to know if she should stop at a dealership to get it worked on or if it will get her safely home

yes absolutley we need to get the codes pulled...i would get to the nearest subaru assuming its still under warranty?

if the lights stayed on there are hard fault codes stored in the computer..better safe then sorry

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
yeah just hard bc nobody is open til tomorrow morning
and I'm having a hard time finding anyone with a similar problem. apparently the vehicle would start but the gear shifter was locked.. she couldn't get it to move

are the brake lights functional?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
just read that its possibly a blown brake fuse. would make sense

it can be...or a brake light switch failure...

i would suggest not shutting car off... if she needs to park shift to neutral and set the parking brake until its resolved

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
okay. how long does it take to fix the brake light switch failure

under a hour

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
k.. should she stop in ABQ or get back home where we know mechanics

is it under warranty?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
should be.. but I'm not too sure. she just called me and asked me to help research

i would just take it to a convienient subaru store

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!