Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

My check engine light has been on for a couple of weeks now

Customer Question

my check engine light has been on for a couple of weeks now I took the obd to get read it stated that it was the catalytic conveter
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: i talked to a few people about what potential issues could be, decided to clean the throttle body the light stays on my car has started to have a rough transition from 1st to 2nd gear it will go out of gear and just rev once I reach about 3000 RPMs (ready to shift)
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: and after a couple seconds of revving it will catch the 2nd gear 2000 Subaru Outback Legacy
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked all my fluids just had my oil changed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't have anything other information currently
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. what was the code that was obtained when you took it to have scanned?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1)

Ok. thats the bank 1 sensor 2 (rear)oxygen sensor reporting whats coming out of the catalytic converter to the computer. replacing the sensor is a 50/50 shot. you will need to determine if the cat is clogged/bad. to do that requires a back pressure test or a temperature comparison test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only have 61k miles on this carWould that be a variable in the cat getting clogged or going bad?

yes it would be. it doesnt matter how many miles are on your vehicle. you dont want to start throwing parts at your car until the root of the problem is found. have the tests done.

checking in to see how its going

any update?