Brad Barker
Brad Barker,
Experience:  Master Kia technician at Kia

My power steering warning light came on and now it is

Customer Question

My power steering warning light came on and now it is difficult to steer. It has 29,000 miles and I have only had it for a year
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: We could find the place to check the fluid and there is no winning noise.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
JA: Are you fixing your XV Crosstrek yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought it might be the fluid, so I bought power steering fluid. When i got it home to check the fluid i could not figure out where to put or to check it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Everything else seems to be working fine.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Brad Barker replied 29 days ago.
This vehicle has electronic power steering. It uses an electric assist motor to help you steer not power steering fluid and pump. The light is on because the system has a diagnostic trouble code. You will need a scanner that will read the codes from the electronic power steering module.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Does this mean that the only way to fix this is to take it to a mechanic? Is there any way that I can take care of it at home on my own?
Expert:  Brad Barker replied 27 days ago.

no you need a mechanic who can scan this system. You can try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes and hook it back up to see if the system clears itself. If the light and stiffness returns you need to get it checked out.