tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

2006 Subaru Forester. Check engine and cruise control light

Customer Question

2006 Subaru Forester. Check engine and cruise control light keep coming on. The code it gives is for a small emissions leak. My mechanic and the dealer have both looked at it, done the smoke test and can not locate the problem. I contacted the manufacturer and their answer was to buy a new one. They think 150,000 miles is high mileage. I believe that number is ***** higher. Also it has been doing this for the last 70,000 miles. I corrected itself with a computer update a few years back. Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 month ago.

Hi,if the smoke test shows no leak we could have a problem with the fuel tank pressure sensor,Ive had some problems in the past with this sensor located on top of the tank, if the pressure sensor does not read correctly it gives the ecm false reading and codes P0442 shows, another problem could be the vent control valve in the canister , when this valve is commanded shut by the ecm it may not seal correctly causing a leak and the check engine light