Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

A recently bought subaru 2003 outback, the dealer said they

Customer Question

a recently bought subaru 2003 outback, the dealer said they had replaced the oxygen sensor, however the engine light is on code is p0170
I'm very worried
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Which engine is in yours - the 2.5 or 3.0L

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its an xs, I think its a 2.5 but not sure
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

Data Trouble Codes (DTC) don't necessarily indicate a component is bad. In this particular case, the onboard computer has set P0170 because it is having difficulties setting fuel trim. Most of the times, replacing the Oxygen sensors doesn't cure this issue; instead, the fix is achieved by cleaning the mass air flow sensor (MAF) - just be sure to use the appropriate cleaner (click here for example).

Also, you might want to check that the air filter housing and hose to the throttle body are properly seated and not allowing unmetered air into the engine.