Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

For a 1995 Suburu Legacy, when I started the car, oil

Customer Question

For a 1995 Suburu Legacy, when I started the car, oil rapidly pouring out underneath the engine, not from the oil filter or drain plug. I added oil & waited. When I started the car again, same thing happened. I had car towed back home. adding more oil, no visible leaking when engine not running even after several days, but when started, it happened again . If I am going to have it checked, I will have it towed again. If it appears likely to be a major repair, it probably isn't worth fixing & would have to be towed again. Can you please provide some insight as to likely cause(s)?
Thanx much.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, possible causes are a bad oil pressure switch, which is around $80 parts and labor, a blow rear main seal which runs around $800 parts and labor as the engine has to come out, a blown front crank seal which runs around $450 parts and labor, a blown oil pan gasket which runs around $250 parts and labor, or worst case a hole in the block which would run around $3500 to replace the engine.

Of these, I more suspect either the oil pressure switch or the rear main seal.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.