Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

My car is not over heating, drives great. The resvior stays

Customer Question

My car is not over heating, drives great. The resvior stays full but the radiator looks empty when I look inside under cap. I already changed the cap, and the thermostat. Hoses look ok I couldn't locate any leaks or cracks. Not sure where else to look? Water pump?
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: I just recently bought this a couple of weeks ago. They said the last time it overheated was about 4 months ago but nothing since then. I haven't had it serviced yet either. When i bought it though the people prior didn't have any fluid in it either
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2000 subaru forester
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am doing it myself, that way it is cheaper then taking it to the shop. i also get help from my dad. New radiator cap, new thermostat, did a radiator flush as well
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

Part Number:

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.