Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Trying to decide whether to replace the short block via

Customer Question

trying to decide whether to replace the short block via warrantee after failing oil consumption test, or whether I can/should insist on a whole new engine. Any thoughts?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: Just did the oil consumption test at dealer.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2012 forrester
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: only dealer repairs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that my gear-head friends think that a lot can go wrong with just replacing the short block and that they think I should insist on a new engine.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kavey replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

When done correctly there is nothing that can go wrong replacing a short block. If its being done under warranty it will be done right.

Also you can insist until your face turns purple.. if you want the whole engine replaced (I assume you mean long block here) then you are going to foot the bill for anything beyond the cost of the short block. That is all the warranty would be responsible for and theyre not going to replace extra parts just because your friend wants them to.