FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Subaru Outback 2004

Customer Question

Subaru Outback 2004
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the panel is lighting up when it does not work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It hasn't lit up for a while now. Every now and then, it starts up. The unit is on all the time, as it was set on automatic temperature etc.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was interesting that the unit the auto electrician got did the same thing! Seems like a fault in the system. That is why I was asking as surely someone else has had the same problem.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. From my experience it is usually a bad connection at the back of the unit. What I do is check for power there and see if it is present. If it is then the connector needs to be checked for any melting or loose connections. If those are fine then there is usually a short in the HVAC unit itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it must be within the HVAC itself, because the auto electrician tested the connections at the back. As the unit he purchased as a second hand replacement had the same problem, I was interested to find if this is a common problem. If so, I thought there might be a simple solution.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

The most common cause of this that I have seen is a bad HVAC unit. These fail all of the time internally.