tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

My break and battery light keeps coming on when I get over

Customer Question

My break and battery light keeps coming on when I get over 2000 rpm. I just had my alternator and battery checked both of which are good. Belts are good. When the lights come on, my running lights turn off. What could it be?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Subaru Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: Yes both tested and both were "perfect"
JA: What is the model of your '00 Subaru?
Customer: 2001 Subaru outback 2.5
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just took it to pep boys to get tested, I would like to fix it myself but I don't know, besides following wires, where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 3 months ago.

Hi,the problem is a open in the rectifier bridge built into the alternator, to test this remove the green connector on top of alternator if your brake and battery light disappear you will need another alternator

Expert:  tamaz replied 3 months ago.

The bridge has a diode built into it that only allows voltage to flow in one direction, if the diode is open voltage leaks the opposite way triggering the warning lights