cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Tech Qualified to repair all makes or models

2014 wrx engine stutters at 3500 - 4000 rpm, when trying to

Customer Question

2014 wrx engine stutters at 3500 - 4000 rpm, when trying to moderately accelerate
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: 5 speed original trans, 28000 miles, a lot of highway miles. original fuel filter (s?)
JA: What is the model of your '14 Subaru?
Customer: wrx sedan
JA: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: this just happened yesterday, but is consistent
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't drive the car hard often
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Is this the DIT engine?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Nevermind, looks like you still have the ej25 the DIT came out in 2015.

Have you had this scanned for codes? You should still be under warranty, I can help you more if you have the codes.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have the codes, and should be under warranty. Is there anything I should look for or do before going to the dealer? What do you think has happened?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 month ago.

Hi,from your description the engine could be misfiring,before taking it to the dealer just make sure engine oil and coolant levels are in safe range,if the check engine light has come on do not drive the vehicle if it begins to flash.If the misfiring is taking place there are many possibilities that could cause misfires, fuel,lack of spark, internal engine damage,all of which I have seen many times in the past with this model vehicle so it's best to get to the dealer so it can be diagnosed,thanks for your time and please let me know if you need more help,thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the info, Tamaz. Could it be related to the turbo, as a seal? It seems to happen when the turbo is engaging, about 4000 rpm. I can here a noise that resembles a waste gate when the engine severely stutters.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 month ago.
Hi,for sure it could be turbo related,this could also be something as simple as it losing boost through a poor seal at inlet to turbo or intercooler
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 1 month ago.

Different expert here did you still need assistance?