Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I HAVE A 2009 SUBARU RANDOMLEY TURN KEY WONT START BUT DOES

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2009 SUBARU RANDOMLEY TURN KEY WONT START BUT DOES NOT TURN OVER YOU CAN PUT 200 MILES ON CAR RUN PERFECT THEN YOU TURN KEY HAS POWER DASH LIGHT UP NOTHING NAPPENS
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

So what eventually does get it running? Waiting, jump starting? Has the starter ever been replaced? Manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its wierd the dash and gauges will light up but carvwont turn over sometimes you wait 5min up to 1 hour cars runs perfect when running my fried that is an excellent manchanic has checked all wiring for good connections and grounds and is stumped one day we used the thob hit lock and unlock and it started but he thinks its not related
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the answer to your question is you just have to wait and keep turning the key to it decides to connect
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
automatic transmission
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i pay can i give you my manchanics number to talk to
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry. My internet is really acting up here at the shop. I'm going to try a reset and get back with you in a little bit if that's ok.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I think I'm back up and running. I'm sorry for the delay.

It's hard to say whether the problem is in the ignition switch or the starter. Your best bet would be to test for voltage at the starter when the problem is occurring. That way you know if the starter is the cause or the voltage stream to the starter is dropping somewhere. Is your mechanic good at electrical testing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HE SAID THAT WHEN THE PROLBLEM WAS ACCURRING HE COULD NOT GET ANY DATA FROM ECM THEN HE HEARD LIKE A RELAY CYCLING THEN THE CAR STARTED AND HE STARTED GETTING DATA AND YES GOOD AT ELECTRICAL TESTING
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

That sounds like a problem with the ignition switch not supplying voltage to the computer.

When key is turned to start position, the number 21 fuse in the interior fuse box energizes to indicate start command to the ECM. If there is a short to ground on that circuit, or the fuse isn't energizing then it won't let it start. I would first suspect the IG2 relay. Especially if you can hear a click and then it starts working. Here is the wiring schematic for the ignition system:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your input, this is the tech that has been looking at the vehicle. I would also like to add some background information. The vehicle has a very intermittent (maybe one in 30 starts) no start/no crank condition. When this happens The odometer reads ER HC where the trip meter would read. This indicates a failure in the high speed CAN circuit. Fortunately I was able to see this happen for myself and had a scanner (although aftermarket) available. Initially when the problem presented itself the TCM had a code p1718 and the ABS read c0047, both codes pointing towards a communication problem. I've done some research and have covered the usual suspects, checking every connector to each module, checking for pin displacement, checking grounds, including grounds to the body, the intake and firewall. I also checked the ECM for possible water intrusion, it seemed good.This last time it happened I attempted to read data/codes from each module. The TCM and ABS communicated, although this time the TCM indicated no codes while the ABS read c0047. The interesting part (and what leads me to agree with your current direction) is that I could not pull a data stream from the ECM, it was as if it either wasn't seeing the request or wasn't communicating the response. While I was going back and forth between modules, I suddenly heard relays cycle under the dash (I hadn't moved the key position) and at that point I was able to establish a data stream from the ECM. After which the vehicle started fine with repeated attempts. It is as if the ECM is intermittently losing power on supply circuits or it's not coming out of low power mode (sleep).I would also like to add that this vehicle has a factory remote start installed, as in a Subaru system that apparently was installed after production.I will check the fuse and relay you suggested.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
JD THANKS FOR THE HELP IN GOING TO PUT 21 FISE IN TOMMOROW AND RELAY IF YOU COULD SEND ME THE DIAGRAM WITH THE RELAY I SHOULD CHANGE THAT WOULD BE GREAT I UNDERSTAND IF THIS IS TO MUCH FOR THE FEE YOU CHARGED THANKS TOM
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Somehow your last response dropped to my timed out list. I'm sorry I didn't see it until this recent response came through. I'll look up a diagram with the relay and send it over in a sec.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Diagram

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Please don't forget to rate.- That's how they pay us.