Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Im having a starting issue with my 98 legacy ob 2.5 manual

Customer Question

im having a starting issue with my 98 legacy ob 2.5 manual trans, yesterday i checked the cel using the 2 green plugs under the steering wheel to count the flashes, now the car will not start i hear a " clicking" near ecu when key is in start position. after a ton of research and bypassing the clutch position switch still the same issue and not knowing where to start
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: with the green plugs connected the light flashes constantly, when unplugged the light is on due to primary o2
JA: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing myself if i can, picked up a volt meter to start seeing what has power and what doesnt, havent done anything to fix my issue and wiring isnt my strong suit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: believe thats all
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Have you disconnected the green connectors?
Does it make any sounds down at the starter when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
green plugs are unplugged and no starter sound I do have clicking of a relay near the ecu
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

OK,

Do you have the remote for the door locks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No key only and does have cruise control
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

You might be having an issue with the anti theft. Try this for me, disconnect the negative battery cable, then turn the ignition key on to the run position. Then reconnect the cable and turn the key off. Then see if the engine will crank or not.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Are you sure the battery is fully charged?

Have you tried a jump start at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Battery is new and have not tried, I'm not sure how to do the starter bypass start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

It's ok there shouldn't be anything near the ecm clicking except the relay to disable the starter for the anti theft.

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm on it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Found the relay by the ecu clicking it has 3 wires to a pink connector, no after market alarm
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, give me a few to see if I can locate this relay in the wiring diagram for the starting system to determine what it is.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

If you disconnect the battery, then reconnect the battery, do the parking lights, radio and instrument panel all flash on and off together?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
everything has power
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

No, I am trying to determine if the car has a security system on it. When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, if it has security all the things I mentioned will blink on and off on their own.

I am not showing any relays on the starting system with 3 pink wires going to them and connecting the D check connector should not be causing this problem. We get them off the truck with the D check connector plugged in brand new and we have to disconnect it. They start and run with them connected all the time.

If you didn't just replace the battery, it might be worth while to try and jump start the car. Maybe the battery ran down when you were working on it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No flashing just the sound of fuel prime and abs when connecting the battery, I will connect the batter to the charger and see if I get the same result
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Same results, no lights dimming from amp draw
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I wouldn't expect the lights to dim since you don't appear to be getting any power to the starter.

Do you have a jump feature on your battery charger?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No only charging unfortunately
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

I would like it if you can put it on there and make sure it's working, then let it sit for about and hour and go out and try it. See if you get any life out of it at all. If you have another vehicle and can try a jump start that would be better. You could let the other car sit on it for about 15 minutes, then see if it will jump.

I am pretty confused about the relay with pink wires, just isn't showing up in any of the wiring diagrams, so it makes a person wonder what the heck it is!

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Relay connector is pink with 4 wires ( g/r, y/r blue & black) wires round relay at bottom of A pillar passenger side
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

ah, ok man! One minute

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Need to know what colors you jumped on the clutch switch harness and how you did that. I know you said electrical wasn't your thing, so I want to make sure it was done right.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The blue 2 wire plug I just made a simple loop with 2 male connectors so I could reverse it (no wires cut) made that mistake before
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

That's the way to do it, do you remember what color the wires were?
Also, when the relay clicks, I need you to test the y/r wire for power, it should have power off of it. Leave your jumper in. I am asking about the wire colors, because there may be 2 switches, one for the cruise and one for the clutch safety. Want to make sure you got the right one is all. Doesn't tell me what color the harness connector is.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The clutch has y/w and y/b wire
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

The wiring diagram is showing a black wire and a grey wire, can you double check and make sure there isn't a second switch on there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nope the other is black with g/y
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The y/r wire is reading 13.47v key off no change with key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, try your jumper on that. I believe that's the clutch switch. In fact, I know it is, I misread GY for grey, but it must be G/Y

Try it and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No start, relay is now at 13.51 key off key on drops to 13.38 then to 13.47
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

This isn't making any sense. Can you go look at the small wire out at the starter and see what color it is. The same color wire should be in this wiring harness at the relay. I do not think my wiring diagram is matching the car, this wire shouldn't have any power until you turn the key on and push in the clutch. Since the switch is jumped, you don't have to worry about pushing the clutch in, but this wire out at the starter is the signal wire. If it's the same color, check the voltage on it out at the starter too

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The starter signal wire is red/yl thick (12g) at the pink relay (not sure if it's starter related but clicks when key is turned) is a thin yl/red wire (18g)
Unfortunately I have to close up shop with the hurricane coming ashore will I be able to contact you in the future?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Yes and stay safe. According to the wiring diagram both wires should be the same color, it's actually should be the same wire.

Stay safe!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** can figure this out!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

We will, we will.. Just post here when you can and we will get back on it.