Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 liter...Over the last few

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 liter...Over the last few days, the center console...digital time and temperature readout...the electronic radio screen and the A/C controls all went blank. Within a short time afterwards, everything was working fine. In both cases, the weather was hot (over 100 degrees) and the Outback was subsequently in the shade. I had it checked out by a Subaru dealer yesterday. They checked fuses, wiring, etc...basically, everything short of yanking out the entire unit. In fact, the advisor noted that the three different system (display, radio, and AC) were all on different circuits. They could not find the problem. My search of the internet has not yield any similar problems. Any thoughts?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: The dealer checked all fuses. They were fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I'm trying to determine if this happened before and what was the cause. The dealer can deal with problem as it under warranty.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

It would seem to me that the issue would be with the unit itself. If it wasn't then the dealer should have been able to locate the problem. That being said, the unit would have to come out to make sure they checked the wiring to the back of the unit. They should have had it out and made sure all the electrical connections were secure. If the heat was a factor here, it's probably got a cracked solder joint inside the unit. I would consider contacting Subaru of America at 1-800-Subaru3 to get a case opened. From the dealer side of it, it's difficult for them to just replace the unit without just cause under warranty. The dealer would end up footing the bill, so just like if it was you paying, they don't want to just toss parts at the car.

The company however could tell them to put a unit in, then they would cover it for the dealer and for you. Kind of a win win situation all around. Not to mention the car would be fixed :)

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

It's been a few day's since you posted this. Thought I would check and see how you made out or if you need further assistance with this?