mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My 2006 H6 3.0 Outback with 95,000 miles on it, overheats

Customer Question

Hi - My 2006 H6 3.0 Outback with 95,000 miles on it, overheats when going highway speeds up long grades. I bought the car from the local Subaru Dealer who had replaced the blown head gaskets on this engine before selling it. The reason for replacement was that the engine had overheated and blown the headgaskets. I have checked everything possible, including replaced the radiator, T-Stat, etc. There is no coolant loss, no bubbles coming in to the overflow tank, and passes the coolant system pressure test. The Subaru mechanic is at a loss as to why its running hot going uphill. If you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: yes - no leaking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced T-Stat, radiator, pressure test
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think Ive shared all I know
Category: Subaru
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.
While pulling a grade have you attempted it with and without the a/c running. If so does it run hot whether or not you have the a/c on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
turning the AC off makes a very slight improvement due to the fact that the condenser mounts right in front of the radiator adding to the heat blowing across the radiator plus the greater load on the engine. I have had to turn the ac off and the heater on just to get a little more cooling to keep the gauge from going over the 3/4 mark.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Mike, Im still waiting for a follow up to the additional information provided. Let me know. Thanks