peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

1997 outback impresza where is the stick located to check

Customer Question

1997 outback impresza where is the stick located to check the transmission fluid
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: do not know
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have not done anything ,i wanted to check the fluid level and thank you
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the check engine light light was on i put new air filter,gas filter,sparkplugs and wires on it the light went out but i am still having a miss of some kind and the light is back on
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i wish to cancel my reguest on joining your service how would i do this
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

My info shows it near some hoses and possibly air intake hose as shown in the diagram below.There is also info on how to check this.

1. Raise ATF temperature to 60 to 80° C (140 to 176° F) from 40 to 60° C (104 to 140° F) (when cold) by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles).

NOTE: The level of ATF varies with fluid temperature. Pay attention to the fluid temperature when checking oil level.

2. Make sure the vehicle is level. After selecting all positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1), set the selector leveler in "P" range. Measure fluid level with the engine idling.

NOTE: After running, idle the engine for one or two minutes before measurement.

3. If the fluid level is below the center between upper and lower marks, add the recommended ATF until the fluid level is found within the specified range (above the center between upper and lower marks). When the transmission is hot, the level should be above the center of upper and lower marks, and when it is cold, the level should be found below the center of these two marks.

- Use care not to exceed the upper limit level.
- ATF level varies with temperature. Remember that the addition of fluid to the upper limit mark when the transmission is cold will result in the overfilling of fluid.

4. Fluid temperature rising speed.
- By idling the engine:
- Time for temperature rise to 60° C (140° F) with atmospheric temperature of 0° C (32° F): More than 25 minutes <Reference>.
- Time for temperature rise to 30° C (86° F) with atmospheric temperature of 0° C (32° F): Approx. 8 minutes
- By running the vehicle.
- Time for temperature rise to 60° C (140° F) with atmospheric temperature of 0° C (32° F): More than 10 minutes
5. Method for checking fluid level upon delivery or at periodic inspection.
Check fluid level after a warm-up run of approx. 10 minutes. During the warm-up period, the automatic transmission functions can also be checked.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete