Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback with 102,600 miles. Recently

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback with 102,600 miles. Recently when I decelerate to a stop-usually when the stop is "hard" I will get a vibration which seems to come from the front. took it to my Subaru dealer and, after inspection with a stethoscope, they said it was the transmission which had to be replaced as a complete unit. the cost would be $6,800 plus labor of about $1,000. Possible? Can it be repaired? Love the car but at 102K miles I don't want to sink $7.8K into it.. Any advice?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

Sorry to hear you are having this problem with the car. It is unusual to have this type of problem with these,especially if the transmission has been serviced.

It's simple advice really, get a second opinion from a transmission shop. Do not tell them what the dealer has told you and compare notes. If they both determine the same issue, then I would chat with them about possibly installing a used transmission. The cost would be a whole lot less then 7 grand. You could probably get a used one installed for more like $2000-$2500 labor included and save yourself a lot of money. The labor for the installation is only about 8 hours.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!