Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

2010 subaru legacy. Steering wheel bluetooth and radio

Customer Question

2010 subaru legacy. Steering wheel bluetooth and radio controls not working
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Mode botton doesn't work either....basically all buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you.I am looking over your info now and will reply back soon with some info , thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok so usually to determine if it is a steering wheel button issue or a module issue we use the scan tool to check to see if we can see the activations of the buttons. if we are pressing the button but the scan tool shows that no button is being pressed then we know its the buttons, and if we press the buttons and the scan tool shows that the buttons ARE being pressed then its a module or communications issue. but 99.99999999999 percent of the time its the steering wheel buttons, you can replace those separately from the whole wheel and such, but those are most likely the issue. hope this helps. Lou P. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't seem likely that all the buttons would fail at the same time. I just found out that Subaru has a safety recall Campaign # WVR-28 concerning this issue. The NHTSA Recall No. is 10V-283. This recall states that Subaru has determined that there is a wiring problem in the steering column that allows multiple switch faiures on the steering wheel controls. This sounds exactly like my problem.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

the buttons use communication wires. so 2 wires communicate all the signals from the switches that is why they fail all together.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

its not like the old cars when each switch has its own set of wires.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was my point exactly. It is most likely not the steering wheel buttons like you first predicted to be 99.999999999 percent of the time, the cause of the failure. Actually, it is most likely a wiring issue, not the buttons.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

no no no you mis interpreted what i stated.......

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

and even if it was wire related they come attached to the buttons. lol, i feel like you are coming at me on the offensive when i am just trying to help.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

i will opt out, i am not here to battle, i am here to help . i wish you luck on your issue and hope that it is related to the recall so that you can get a free repair out of it. some people expect too much from an over the internet diagnosis, not sure why you would ask me a question and then tell me i am wrong, that does not make sense. i am the one with 20 years diagnostic experience and have the knowledge to help you get fixed up. so i hope that you get your issue resolved i tried to assist, sorry i did not provide what ever it was you hoped for. Lou P.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not trying to insult you, but I lost faith in your diagoses when you used the 99.9999999 percent statement. Nothing in automotive diagnostics is that certain. Thank you for trying to help. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to be honest with you.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok , understood, that is why i did not say 100, and you are correct, BUT with something as simple as steering wheel buttons, i am more than comfortable recommending that they be replaced, if there was a further issue then both sides of the steering wheel controls would be inoperable. that is how i made my determination. google me and you will see that i have hundreds of satisfied customers and that i go to great lengths to get them fixed up.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

NHTSA Campaign # 10V283000

Vehicles:

Make/Models:Model/Build Years:

SUBARU/LEGACY2010

SUBARU/OUTBACK2010

Defect:SUBARU IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 OUTBACK AND LEGACY PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 16, 2009 THROUGH APRIL 12, 2010. THE WIRING IN THE STEERING COLUMN ELECTRICAL ROLL CONNECTOR LOCATED BEHIND THE VEHICLE'S STEERING WHEEL MAY DEVELOP STRESS CRACKS AND EVENTUALLY BREAK. IF THIS WERE TO HAPPEN CERTAIN ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS MAY NOT OPERATE AS INTENDED.

Component Affected:STEERING:COLUMN

Corrective Action:DEALERS WILL CHECK LOT NUMBER OF THE STEERING ROLL CONNECTOR. THE ROLL CONNECTOR WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE IF THE LOT NUMBER SHOWED ANY AFFECTED RANGE OF THE FAILURE OCCURRENCE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 7, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-***-***-****.

Consequence:POSSIBLE CIRCUITS AFFECTED ARE THE DRIVER'S FRONTAL AIRBAG, PADDLE SHIFTER FUNCTION, CRUISE CONTROL, HORN CONTROL AND RADIO FUNCTIONS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Mfr. Campaign #:WVR-28

Mfr. Involved:SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.

# Vehicles Affected:73698

File Date:06/24/2010

The vehicle you are working on may or may not be affected by this recall. Contact the vehicle manufacturer for clarification.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm glad there are people like you to help with auto repair. It has become so expensive and many people can't afford to pay what it cost. Keep up the good work. You are right too! It is very hard to fix cars, even in person, so I can only imagine how hard it is over the internet. Thanks again for trying!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

yours may be within the recall but that all depends on the build date. and if the issue is the roll connector. so i will not always assume that the recall is the issue, for what that is worth . i have to call it a night. let me know if we are good or if you want other help, i am here to do what i can to assist , have a good night, Lou P.

Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.