Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I've got another tech asking me a question, but there's no

Customer Question

I've got another tech asking me a question, but there's no chat box like this to answer him. Argh
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 1999, Legacy Outback. Spontaneously overheats according tothe gage. Will drive for several miles, more than enough to get everything warmed up and temperature gage consistently showing temperature, then will overheat. Reservoir shows full. After stopping and waiting 5 minutes, will start the car again, and temperature shows normal. Drive another 5 miles with steady temperature, and temperature gage suddenly starts going up. Pull over, wait 5 minutes, restart, continue. At a local shop they had it idling for 45 minutes, never a problem. Recently had thermostat replaced, but no change. Coolant levels at correct levels. A few days ago overheated and lost some coolant from somewhere. Did same thing today, lost a little coolant as I drove around trying to figure out the problem (my daughter usually drives the car). Never have seen anything like this with any car. When it overheats, the 5 minutes is never enough time to cool down much with the hood up, but start the car and temperature shows fine. Speedometer is intermittent also, just mention it in case they're related. Car has about 110k miles on it. No idiot lights come on.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Several times. When it overheats, it sometimes loses coolant, but I can;'t see where it's coming from.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Local repair guy ran it for 45 minutes, no problems. Thermostat replaced 2 weeks ago.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything I can say is in my long description above.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. does your cooling fans turn on , does it over heat with or without the A/C on or off or doesn't matter? have your rad cap checked for holding pressure , also do a head gasket leak test. If your loosing cool;ant then there is a mechanical problem so you need to do those tests to eliminate things and narrow down the possibilities. hope this helps If you need further assistance I will be happy to do so.