Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

2006 Outback. Put I new battery last Saturday. Battery

Customer Question

2006 Outback. Put I new battery last Saturday. Battery purchased from O'Reilly's auto supplies. The previous battery had died and needed a jump to start. I drove my car all week with no problems. This morning the car has no power. I used the remote to unlock the car and went to turn over the engine when all power died after an initial power response. Vehicle is completely dead now.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like you have a parasitic drain. You need a multi meter to diagnose. You have to hook up the ammeter inline with the negative battery cable and see how many amps are drawn when the vehicle as resting.

If its high, you need to remove fuses one at a time until the draw goes down. This will narrow down the circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is not an option. I am at home without that tool. I just changed the power fuse, got a little power, but when I put my key in thgthge ignition it died again .
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a battery charger?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Can you jump start it?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

if you jump it and let it run for a while it will recharge the battery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not for a couple of hours.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Ok. I will leave this post open.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did some more YouTube research. Turns out I needed to check the connection on the battery and guess what? The cable was loose. So I took it off, used a brush to remove the little bit of corrosion that was still on the connector, reconnected it and guess what? The car started!
Thanks, ***** ***** help did not help. Why didn't you suggest checking the battery connections?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I suggested jump starting and by doing that you may have noticed the cables being loose. I also suggested doing the drain test for a dead battery, If this would have been done you would have also noticed the battery cable being loose.

I am glad you got it figured out. Usually a good idea to start with the simple stuff.

You said that the battery was already replaced so I assumed it was properly installed.