Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Re: Subaru Tribeca B9 MY07 Replaced key fob battery as per

Customer Question

Re: Subaru Tribeca B9 MY07 Hi. Replaced key fob battery as per manual. Still doesn't work. Car won't start. No dome lights. No electrical whatsoever.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

I would try a jump start first. If there isn't any electrical then that indicates a flat battery. Leave the donor car on it for about 15 minutes, then see if it has at least some power.

If not, then check the main fusible link in the box under the hood. This is large, rectangular fuse that is bolted to the box. If it's burned out, it will take all the electrical power with it as well.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Flat battery seems strange. Car working well. First key fob went 2 weeks ago. Second one now. When the first key fob went, it happened the sane way. Car didn't start any more (after I had just parked it to drop someone off, 2 min earlier), no dome light, no indicators, no central locking. I picked up my wife's key and everything just worked again. Now her key went and the same thing happened. Could it be that the immobiliser stays engaged somehow and I need to turn it off?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

The immobilizer won't kill all the power to the car. Check your battery connection for corrosion. Make sure it's clean and tight. This could be the issue since it came on so suddenly.

Sorry for the delayed response!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Also, check the small positive cable from the battery to the fuse box under the hood. make sure it's not swollen as this would be corrosion under the insulation and could be a problem as well. Something is keeping the battery power from that fuse box.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How come it continued to work with one key fob, though, and not the other (locking/unlocking, starting, radio, indicators etc)?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Terribly sorry for this late response, I especially realize you are on the other side of the world from me.

Because a poor connection will come and go. It's not the fob that is making the difference here, it's a bad connection at the fuse, the fuse box or the battery.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
App keeps crashing (have tried to send this 3+ times already).
Don't worry about slight delays in answering. I really appreciate your help with this as it's left me stumped.
Battery is less than 2 years old (professional install). - I will check fuses as soon as I'm back at the car (in about 2.5h).
Why did it stop working with one fob (about 2 weeks ago; same symptoms) and carry on working with the other (until yesterday), though?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

I believe it made a connection at some point and was doing fine. Then of course when that changed, now it looks like the other fob has a problem. The immobilizer just simply will not take all the power out like this. It will prevent the car from starting, but it's not going to keep the dome lights from coming on. I could be wrong about the battery or the cables, but I don't think I am wrong about the immobilizer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looked at what you recommended. No corrosion obvious to me. Attached pictures for you to look at.
Re: main fusible link: would you mind pointing it out to me on the pictures?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Image 2 (Battery)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Image 3
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Image 4
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, it doesn't look like there is any corrosion on the battery that's for sure. Make sure the cables are good and tight, then check the other ends of them.

I am sending back your photo of the fusible link. Oddly that looks a little corroded to me. Anyhow, I highlighted the section you need to look at to see if it's blown or not.

if you have a volt meter, you can remove the fusible and check it for resistance using the ohm setting

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Mike. Photo with your highlighting didn't come through. Would you mind re-sending?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry!

It doesn't look like I sent it! MY bad.

Here it is!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks! No voltmeter. Pouring down here. Will have a look as soon as the weather gets better and report back.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good, hopefully it will be the problem and easily resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried jump starting car today to no avail will look at fuse you pointed out in the morning in the light. Thanks for your advice. Will keep you posted.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

The car has basically no electrical power right?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's what it seems like.
Removed the fuse you pointed out. Hard to see inside; only part of the cover is clear. What should I be looking for?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Picture of fuse
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

You are looking for a break in the center. This looks in tact in the photo to me. So I think you need to put it back in OR use a volt meter to test it. If it tests good, then use a test light to check some of the fuses in the box to make sure they have power.