tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

George, I'm surprised to find a live technician here. Very

Customer Question

Hi George, I'm surprised to find a live technician here. Very nice. My situation is unique. I was doing a radiator flush and accidentally got the wrong hose. I blew water into the transmission hose for a couple seconds. After I realized what happened, I didn't start the car(96 OB) again until I was able to replace the ATF(about 2 gallons). It seems to be shifting fine, but only since then, I seem to have what's called torque bind.
I thought it was maybe the CV joints. I have replaced both front axles, they are brand new.
The car was running great before that. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Hi,there is a fuse holder on the right strut tower or in the engine compartment fuse box, if you install a 15 amp fuse labled FWD this disables AWD ,a FWD symbol will show up on your dash,drive the car if the torque bind disappears the problem is in the transfer case,give this a try and let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done that, seems to remedy the issue. Would driving it or adding a more viscous fluid to the transmission help?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would prefer resolving the issue, rather than just a work around
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Driving the car in a open area doing figure 8's may help the break in procedure consists of driving in a figure 8 pattern for 1 min then place trans in neutral to allow to cool for 2 min, then drive in same pattern for in drive 1 for a min

Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

If this doesn't help the transfer case will need to be disassebled for inspection and repair

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thank you. Is it okay that I used regular ATF?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dex 3
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

That's fine

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After trying to figure eights, should I expect the torque bind to go away or at least reduce? And will I be able to remove the FWD fuse?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

You will need to remove the fuse to place vehicle back in AWD before you attempt the figure 8's ,depending on the severity of the bind you should see a reduction in the bind ,hopefully more than just a reduction is what I'm hoping for

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Me too. Thank you again.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome!