Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2015 Impreza. Won't start. Everything comes on, lights and

Customer Question

2015 Impreza. Won't start. Everything comes on, lights and gauges, no clicking but an "electrical" hum from the plastic manifold looking part on top of the engine. I can feel a vibration there. Not the battery, tried jumping with another car.
JA: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?
Customer: Didn't check starter connections. Starter on passenger side?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried taking it out of gear (automatic) and putting back into park. Steering wheel not locked over. Would have to have it towed if I can't fix it. Was hoping it was something simple.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing else that I know.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

I would try jump starting the car again, make sure you hear the engine on the other vehicle labor when you make the connection and wait 15 minutes before trying to start the car. Then if it won't crank it almost sounds like the engine has a problem or at least the starter. The buzzing you are hearing may actually be the throttle plate in the electronic throttle moving. The motors on the throttle do make noise. Normally you probably would not hear it from inside the car.

Please try the jump start again and let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried jumpstarting again, let other car run 10 min. Detected no "pull" on other car when tried to start Impreza. Called Subaru road side assistance to have it towed to dealer. Still under warranty. I'm sorry, I don't think your advice was any help at all.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, sorry you are having the problem and sorry that there wasn't more I could do from here.

Please don't rate as it will only throw me under the bus for trying to help you out.