Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2004 wax with 85K miles. Was running fine but

Customer Question

I have a 2004 wax with 85K miles. Was running fine but recently started having some hesitation when giving gas. Then, it started having more hesitation and the idle was really rough and low. About this same time I noticed I was not getting much boost at all. Because of the rough idle, I cleaned out the IACV and replaced the gasket. No change- continued to get worse. Put in new MAF sensor and cleaned out intercooler and made doubly sure the clamps were tight. Still getting worse and now I'm not starting anymore. It cranks fine. I can hear the fuel pump give it gas. I just changed the fuel filter- no better.
What could be the problem? It seems like this is some sort of progressive decline in something, but I don't know where to start.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked the plastic intake pipe that leads to the turbo? These can crack and cause unmetered air to enter the engine. Also the rubber pcv lines can get hard and create vacuum leaks.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Also the intercooler rubber with the two clamps on it can become distorted and leak boost.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Also the screens that feed the turbo with oil can become clogged and destroy the turbo from lack of lubrication.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks