sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

After repairing converters, my rear tail lights don't work.

Customer Question

After repairing blown converters, my rear tail lights don't work. Brake lights ok, blinkers okay, and front light headlight, which is brand new is not working AGAIN. Problem with front headlight on going for a few years. I know I have a probable ground wire issue, but how do I trace it without tearing my car apart?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year, make model and engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2001 Subaru outback wagon, 5.2 liter, awd
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello? anybody there?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I am here

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I just had to help other customers

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Do you have power to the headlight bulb?

Is there power to the tail light relay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assume there is power, but I'm sure there is a wire problem, that's why there is continuos problems with lights. I've replaced front rt bulbs many times and they blow. Fuses have been checked and they are good. Pretty sure ground wire somewhere is the issue, but, where?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

That is all that I can think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Electrical testing is going to need to be done to determine the causes of the lights that are not working. If no problems an be found visually then an incandescent test light is first going to need to be used to test for power and ground at the bulbs that are not working to determine what is missing and then testing of that circuit can be done from there. Are you able to do electrical testing?