tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

Subaru foerester wont start. Battery is new. Fuses are all

Customer Question

Subaru foerester wont start. Battery is new. Fuses are all good
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: no
JA: What year is your Forester?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery. Checked all the fuses. They are good. No Error Codes found
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Hi, is there a alarm or car starter wired to the vehicle?What happens when you try to start the car any noises?Have you tried to start in neutral?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is an alarm system but not a "car starter". A little background. Yesterday I put a new battery in the car and replaced the clutch master cylinder. All the fuses check out ok. Lights, door locks, wind shield wipers and stereo all work fine.
No noise when I try to start the car. Complete silence, other than the noises made when opening the door(ding ding ding).
No error codes or "bad" diagnostics read from the cars "computer"(or whatever they call it these days).
Also I tried to bypass the clutch/safety switch pedal by shorting out the connector but no luck
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried to start in neutral, first gear, emergency brake on, emergency brake off, etc.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter?If you have either we need to test for voltage at the starter,there is a black connector on back of starter solenoid that should have battery voltage while cranking

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a test light but do have a multimeter.
However, does someone need to crank the engine while I try to read the voltage?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What voltage should I expect to see? 12V ?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

yes that would help but is not necessary, you can back probe the connector and prop it up so you can see it while cranking, the test light should light brightly indicating 12 volts

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so Im gonna jump ahead a little bit.If I read 12V then starter is probably bad?If I do not get 12V what do I check next?I only ask because it may be some time before I can dig out the multimeter, get some new batteries in it, etc.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

12 volts then starter is bad no volts then wiring back to ignition switch, starter relay or alarm is locking out,if you have no voltage I suggest disconnecting alarm this usually will cut power to starter rarely do we have wiring problems or relay faults especially since it started before you re[place d battery and clutch master cylinder,it's a possibility you could have knocked starter wire off when the clutch cylinder was replaced

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. What is the best way to disconnect the alarm?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Under the dash on the drivers side you should see a control module with a rats nest of wires going to it,disconnect these wires at the module first