Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

Subaru dealer says my evap vent valve is bad. They say it is

Customer Question

Subaru dealer says my evap vent valve is bad. They say it is inside the charcoal canister. I replaced the canister last year with a brand new one, so I am skeptical. I thought that the canister only contained charcoal. Can anyone confirm that the vent valve (not the purge valve) is inside the canister?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

What year and model is your Subaru please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5I
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

One moment please while I look it up to be 100% sure. I do believe on the 07 it is part of the canister and located inside the car if I am not mistaken. I just want a minute to look it up for you to be 100% on my answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine code is 457, it has been a chronic problem for 2 years. I've had a smoke test, new gas cap and new filter all within the last 18 months but check engine light with 457 code keeps coming on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Do you smell fuel inside the cabin? Also, the canister is inside the car not under the right rear section correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
none whatsoever
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, the canister is under the car next to the rear wheel passenger side. 2007 impreza. No gas smell at all
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
never mind. Just credit my card.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, sorry if I seem sketchy here, my info for the car is not good as far as the service manual and component locations. The vent valve on that model then is outside of the canister, it's also called the drain valve.

Here is my issue, if you had this car smoke checked and no leaks were found, then I would put the blame on the pressure sensor and not the vent control valve. No leaks means something else in the system is not working properly. They should see that. The vent valve if stuck open would certainly leak and honestly, if it were stuck closed you wouldn't be able to put gas in the car because the canister would be saturated with fuel vapor.

There's a free one for ya.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

You bet, they are clearly barking up the wrong tree in my opinion.