Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

I purchased a used 2012 Subaru Forester with 204,000km of

Customer Question

I purchased a used 2012 Subaru Forester with 204,000km of mileage 12 weeks ago.
I drive a lot roughly 5,000km a month. I got an oil change only 5 weeks ago.
Last Friday the engine blew and it's going to cost $5k to fix.
The mechanic said that the engine ran out of oil and that there are no leaks. My question is where do I go from here?
I've contacted the oil change company but they are not admitting liability and said maybe a gasket blew. It did not as the mechanic confirmed. It simply ran out of oil and I have a letter from the mechanic to prove this.
Secondly the oil company put synthetic oil in so this should last longer. How long should the oil last?
I have receipts on everything so please advise as I'm currently renting a car and costs are mounting
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

How far have you traveled since the oil was changed?

Meaning how many miles have you put on the car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Roughly 5500km
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im on the road a lot but something like this shouldn't happen even with the mileage.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Well, I was wondering because if the oil change place didn't fill the car with oil it wouldn't go very far. So the amount of time since they did the oil change isn't as important as the miles it's been. It sounds like they have filled the engine with oil, it wouldn't go that far if they didn't.

If the engine didn't leak the oil out, then it burned it out. If the oil rings have failed then it would run out the exhaust system. There are so many catalytic converters on the car that the exhaust likely wouldn't show any sign of the oil burning out. If it didn't leak it, then it used it. Synthetic oil does last longer then organic oil, but it has to stay in the engine for that to happen. It looks like the engine may have damage in the cylinders either scoring on the cylinder walls or a broken oil ring and allowed the oil to be burned during combustion. I am sorry to say it sounds like the case to me. I don't think there is any way the car would have gone 5500km with no oil in it at all. You see what can happen when there isn't any oil.

I know this likely isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's really the truth sorry to say.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so there is no comeback on the company at all and I just have to pay the full price and get it repaired?!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I see no other answer, however I would suggest trying to get a used engine instead of paying for a completely new one. This would save you a bundle to be honest and many salvage yards do put warranties on their used engines. Your mechanic might even have a favorite yard he uses for such things.

They will always try to go with brand new first because there is a better mark up on the engine. More money in their pocket, that's just business. I am not suggesting he is trying to take advantage, just doing what he can to make money as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok...and considering I only purchased the vehicle 12 weeks ago... is there any comeback on the seller?Furthermore the dealer sold it as a 2011 and vin number shows its a 2012?Is it worth the hassle and time chasing this?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I would consider contacting the dealer that sold you the car of course. Since it was a dealer and not a individual you may have some recourse with them for sure. If it was an actual Subaru dealer, then you may even be able to contact Subaru customer service in your country and get some support from them as well. Here in the US I have done a lot of warranty work on vehicles that were out of warranty because Subaru was contacted and they are very customer oriented.

I can't promise anything as I am not a representative of Subaru, so really that would be their choice and decision to make.

As for any other recourse, you would have to consult an attorney and not a mechanic.

Thanks so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any more questions for me today?