Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

09 impreza sti. turning steering wheel left and right while

Customer Question

09 impreza sti. turning steering wheel left and right while moving or parked makes repetitive clicking noise. Small amount of fluid leaking from inner cv to case location.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

This sounds like a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will'click'

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The boots are intact. It's leaking fluid not grease. It's worse when the car gets warm.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

in that case I'd check for a worn strut top mount

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you