Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I bought 06 forester was flood damage, i did replace main

Customer Question

hi i bought 06 forester was flood damage, i did replace main wiring harnes through out to gas tank. car was fine for a month or so then one morning it shut down and not crank its seem to me like sercurity problem i try to reset by turn ignition switch but no thing happen then later its started but engine run funny not enough power i trace wire from old harnes to me its looked correct but why it happen like that i went to yunkyard get another ecu + body intergrate unit+ keyless unit put it in try to start again but no luck i go on ondemand look in wiring diagram they said the car have immobilizer but i check the car does not equip is there some unit make the car can not start and run please help
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks

you welcome

is the red security light flashing or steady on while you try to start it .

did you get also the key of the junkyard donor car or you are using same key that came with your car ?

have you inspected the connectors for all these parts for broken pins, flood damage cars ,the corrosion eats away from pins and they break off or make poor contact ?

do you have diagnostic scanner that you can read all the Subaru modules , not a small code reader that want do since they only read engine codes and maybe abs depends which one ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

is turbo or non turbo car ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
right now odb2 can not get in to ecu like i said before brand new main wiring harness fro dealer i check every single connector its look fine, no i did not get ignition key from car i took out ecu i do have original key + combination meter + keyless module + drl + intergrate unit

i SENT YOU A DIAGRAM OF WHAT MAKES UP THE ANTITHEFT SYSTEM IN IT , WHAT DID YOU REPLACE , LET ME KNOW PLEASE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is non turbo

Not going to happen man with out the same key ,unless you have a Subaru scanner to program your key or a new one ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the car is not equip with immobilizer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i did ask dealer they said turn ignition 3 or 4 time car will start

in my system it shows it does , look under the ignition switch ,do you have the module in the diagram , simple to check

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no it do not have one

you need fuel & spark to start , what are you missing ?

is the car spinning over but no start ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it like when u turn on ignition switch 3 or 4 time it let u start and run but u cannot step on gas pedal it donot let power going

how high did the water get in the car , you can tell by the water ***** *****ne

check fuel pressure ,check throttle body connector , is it moving from 0 to 5 volts when you press on gas pedal ?

FUEL PUMP Shutoff discharge pressure.....370 - 677 kPa (3.77 - 6.9 kg/sq.cm, 53.6 - 98 psi) Discharge rate.......................105 l (27.7 US gal, 23.1 Imp gal)/h or more. ........................................[300 kPa, 12 V (3.06 kg/sq.cm, 43.5 psi)]

if you cant get to the ecu with that obd2 reader , you have to start there really, could be a bad ecu ,you have to able to communicate with it .

can you communicate withe old ecu ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
with both ecu non of them reading

sorry man , i have dealt with flood cars before , sometime you can get lucky , sometime you will spend weeks and dont get now where, the diagnostic logic doesn't not apply to it for a regular vehicle .like i said , you have to be able to communicate with it , if you think it is not bad then wiring to it has to be .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have question y/blue wire it go from tarter relay and it connect in juntion with another y/blue it go to drl control under right side of dash and it go to starter out side engine base and it go to ecu so it it fed from battery or it fed out from ecu
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if this car dont equip immobilizer what kind of sercurity it provide

none if you say it does not have one ,it should be an unchipped key and no immobilizer module in the car , it should start right up, when dealer says turn key 3 4 times , ask him what is he trying to accomplish when he told you to do that.

did you supply him with vin # to check what your car is equipped with , how did he know you dont have one ,something dont add up here .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i gave them vin # and he said no chip key but maybe sercurity from keyless lock it

if you had everything disconnected , means it lost it throttle memory , if you cant communicate with ecu means the throttle cant send any info to ecu neither so if it cranks up and you press gas pedal and it falls on its face or dies then we go back to why the ecu cant be read that is one possibility and could be several more

i m& not aware of key less lock security only , you obviously are able to start it ,so starter works, usually most security in cars will kill starter, injector pulse & or ground to ignition coils

but since car is starting and running that tells me we have them, so i dont know what dealer talking about , on that issue a key less security !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
while its running i check wiring from ecu yellow/blue dont get juice

follow the wires and see what feeds them .

check all ground connections

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it go to ecu drl starter relay

do a continuity test on those wires

flip the relay box around where the drl relay goes and look for water or corrosion where the wires going to it ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no still good

sorry, wish i had a quick fix answer on this one

Customer: replied 3 months ago.