Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have an abs light on after a drive train swap on a 2005

Customer Question

I have an abs light on after a drive train swap on a 2005 wrx. I have already cleaned the wheel speed sensors at all 4 corners and driven the car. I am looking for advice on clearing the codes
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: I have located the abs diagnostic connector and the two diagnostic pins under the dash. However I am having a difficult time with find a pin-out so I can connect terminals 3 and 6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just the abs
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have checked all abs fuses and they are good
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** did you swap on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
An entire version8 jdm sti conversion. 6spd Transmission, hubs on all 4 corners, axles, brakes, rear diff, both front and rear subframes. Essentially the entire car bellhousing back. I have inspected and cleaned all 4 wheel sensors. I know my 05 wrx had a 16bit ecm which may contribute to this abs connector being different than the pictures I've found on the sti connector. The forums say to jumper terminal 3 to 6 but I can find a pin-out diagram and am not sure if that method applies to this car.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the clutch slave line with a braided one as well, is it possible I introduced air into the abs system? I'm hoping to reset the light and see if the fault comes back, as a starting point
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate the help in advance Tim.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

have you pulled codes from the computer yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not from the abs computer. No codes present when I run the ecu
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But from what I've read they are separate
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the abs module will store the abs codes, are yu using a scanner or just a code reader?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a laptop setup in the car. I am using ecu flash and romraider to tune. I am using the learning view program to read the dtc's
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

So you dont have the ability to read abs codes? or commu icate with the abs module?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I would need a Subaru select monitor tool correct?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Isn't there a way to clear abs module memory and reset stored codes? I have located the connector and the two grinding pins
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
grounding
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

there are several scanner that can read abs codes, some more expensive, but there are some cheaper ones you can get at Autozone or Oriellys, that read them too, and can also clear codes, on this year, you must have a scanner to clear the codes, unlike the earlier models,Tim

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Aren't those all obd2 port scanners? This connector is separate
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

Yes, they have the connector for the abs port,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, after rating me, yu can come back to this question at anytime and ask follow up questions at no charge,Thanks,Tim