Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

A loud rattle in housing area when running..97 legacy gt

Customer Question

a loud rattle in bell housing area when running..97 legacy gt wagon
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

the starter drive is not hitting anything at all when the starter is not being engaged ?

at idle ? driving at speed ? when does it make this noise the most ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have not checked that..it does vary at rpm also.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

be sure the starter is not causing this issue if it is not then remove the converter bolts and push the converter back off the flexplate and run its and see if the noise is gone if it is the issue is usually a cracked flexplate or a few very rare ones having input shaft issues or the converters causing this problem

if the noise is still there then the starter is the problem or the flax plate or a noise inside the rear of the engine like a rod bearing

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out ?