Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an ASE tech

Just had the oil changed Saturday, yesterday check engine

Customer Question

just had the oil changed Saturday, yesterday check engine light and flashing cruise control light came on. My husband has a code checker, he checked the oil, it was overfilled and then cleaned the solenoid valve. The code was p0028. Now the light is off but I need to make a trip out of town. Trying to figure out if I need to take it somewhere to have it looked at or if I am okay to drive it
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The light is off now. After my husband clean the valve, he reset it
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2010 Forrester
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband took off the solenoid valve cleaned it and put it back on. Checked the oil to make sure was clean, which it was, just changed on Saturday
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am just trying to figure out if its safe to make a*****out of town and back for a meeting I have today
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The code sets in most case due to a failing Oil Pressure Switch and if the engine was over full on oil then this could cause the code to set. If you have cleaned the switch and resolved the oil level then you should be fine to take your trip. I would do some short trips driving it and see if the light return which is would if there is a problem with it. If after doing some driving and the light remains off then your okay for your trip. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there if need be.