Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Nothing. No beeps from the key, no locks will open, won't

Customer Question

Nothing. No beeps from the key, no locks will open, won't turn over.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Key is fine, worked yesterday pm.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2011 forester xt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to decide if I need a jump or a tow.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Whatever it is happened overnight. Car is parked as normal, wheels are in line, no doors left open, etc.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

I would start with a jump start. Make sure you put the donor car on it for 15 minutes before trying to start it or anything. The battery could have gone completely flat over night. If it did though, make sure to have it tested because this would really indicate the battery is no good or something was left on. Usually anymore the body control module will turn stuff off.

I would make sure to wait the 15 minutes before the attempt to start. If you even get lights then you know it's a battery issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!