sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My forester won't turn on after batter cables crossed

Customer Question

Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Are the parking lights and dash clicking when the car is sitting?
Do you hear any sounds when trying to start it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after i replaced the main engine fuse all the dash lights came back up but the car doesn't click or crank when I try to start it. The alarm control no longer unlocks the doors
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, but are the parking lights flashing when the car is sitting there without the key on or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the lights are not flashing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Normally means the security isn't causing the problem.

Check SBF #4 in the box under the hood. This fusible link may have blown when the main link blue. This is the power feed for the ignition switch to the starter.

Do you have a test light or volt meter for doing electrical testing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if i turn on the parking flasher they won't turn on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a test light I will check that fuse now
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, this one is a fusible link, so the test light won't really work, but you can try swapping it with one of the others. You might be able to tell by looking through the top as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is not blown and I switched it out for another one and it is still not starting
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, give me a moment to look at the wiring diagram a little closer. You said no sound at all when you try to start it right?

Is it an automatic?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has one small click under the dash when I try to crank it. Yes it is an automatic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I would like to take a step backwards for a moment.

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, then reconnect it and tell me if the parking lights and the radio start flashing like the alarm is working.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I reconnected it and no flashing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Do you have any help there with you so you can check for power on the starter wire with the key in the start position?

This is the small white/red stripped wire at the starter.

I am looking at the wiring diagram and I don't show any security on the starting system. I am thinking it's possible there is some kind of aftermarket alarm on the car that may have been triggered.

If it's possible for you to locate the source of that light click under the dash it might lead to a box you can unplug. Otherwire we need to check for power out at the starter solenoid.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will check for power to the starter. I highly doubt it is an aftermarket alarm the remote is the oem subaru one and the vehicle has the yellow sticker in the front stating the instructions in case the security system is trigerred.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok,

Then resetting it should work. Taking off the neg cable, turn ignition to run, re connect the cable should reset the alarm. But it doesn't seem to be working.

Let me see if I can find the power source for the anti theft and see if that's blown.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Check these 3 fuses for power inside the car.

3,7 and 18 all are related to the keyless entry system.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Make sure they actually have power, not just that they aren't blown

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no power going to the red/white wire
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Did you try resetting the security? I think the click you hear is likely the inhibitor relay. I am not showing any alarm system on the 99, but do know it could be there. Just not part of the service manual.

Plus if you saw the rest of my posts, please check the fuses and try to reset the security

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I reset the security system with no luck and all the fuses are fine. I looked under the dash and there is a green connector that was disconnected and I connected it and with the power on the service engine light starts flashing and the fans turn on and off I don't know if it's supposed to be connected
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

yeah, that's not suppose to be plugged in.

From here it seems like you fried the security/door lock control module.

Double check all the fusible links, but since it doesn't even seem to be going into lockdown I have no other answer. I am sorry and will open it up for the other experts.

Don't reply or it will lock it to me.

Sorry.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still need help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the other guy said it could be the security/door lock module. Is there any way to test that

Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No but a mechanic shop close to me does. Would it be worth it to pull it to them so they can scan it?

It's going to take a scan tool to see what modules do and don't communicate to accurately diagnose the problem.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on, and does the engine light do a bulb check and go out?