Tony Peake
Tony Peake,
Experience:  Service and Parts Manager at CastleRock Jackson

We have a 2009 Forester,manual transmission. we replacwed

Customer Question

we have a 2009 Forester,manual transmission. we replacwed the clutch in May of this year. while driving yesterday in 3rd gear @ 1,500 -1,800 rpms the vehicle suddenly stopped. I started the car again put it in first gear again and resumed driving. I noticed that shifting was was somewhat difficult but was able to complete the progression from 1st thru 5th. however, upon shifting into neutral while the engine's running the vehicle will not shift into any gear. Upon cutting the engine off, and depressing the clutch every gear is obtainable without a hitch, but again this only with the engine off. While the engine is off Ican shift into 1st gear turn the ignition on, the car will start but begin moving forward as it starts. Can you help in identifying what our problem might be. Oh, ibelieve we need to replace the left drivers bearing, or half axle for some time.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** sounds like the clutch is not getting fully depressed when you push the clutch in. I would return it to who put the clutch in for you. I would also expect if they are a reputable shop they should take care of this for you under warranty. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you. I would expect them to be able to adjust the clutch unless there has been a part failure of some kind.