Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My friend has a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. Her trunk will

Customer Question

HI. My friend has a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. Her trunk will not open by key or by the electronic trunk opener by the driver's seat. I crawled in and sprayed a bunch of solvent and wiggled some stuff, and the trunk opened with the electronic opener. She took it home and it would not open. Then she took it to a mechanic who used the key, and it opened, but only one time. Any Ideas? The key turns normally, and one can hear the mechanism when the electronic mechanism is activated.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

HI there,

On these old 99's what I used to see all the time was the hatch handle sticking in the open position. Make sure this isn't the case here. You can close it, lock it and unlock it, but the outside handle sticks in the open position and it will prevent you from opening it again. You have to push the handle to the closed position, cycle the locks then try to open it.

Can't be 100% sure this is the problem, however I have seen it cause this type of problem a lot.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!