tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

The readout on the" current mpg" ( that is, and any

Customer Question

The readout on the " current mpg" ( that is, and any particular moment in time ( not the average mpg) is faulty on my 2015 Legacy. The readings bare no relationship to the reality but vary widely and randomly between 0 and 99. This is disapointing since I used this readout. This is disapointing since I used the readout shortly after I purchased the car to determine whether I was driving in an economical manner. The dealership where I bout the car and one other did not seem to understand the problem or did not want to bothered Both talked to me in circumlocution. How do I get someone to understand the problem and tell me how to fix the problem Other than this minor problem I have thoroughly enjoyed driving the Legacy. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. **************************************t

Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

Hi,sorry to hear you haven't had much help with this problem but I'll try to give you some help here,this current mpg display is essentially a calculator based on many inputs,because it still reads but is giving false readings I would start by performing a capacitance discharge of the electrical system this will essentially erase memory and start the readings from the beginning like when the car is new,to do this it is very simple, remove both battery cables and touch them together for at least 30 seconds this drains all capacitors in electrical system and give you a fresh start,reconnect both and hopefully you'll get correct readings.If you need help or feel this is something your not comfortable dealing with please let me know, thanks for your time!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tamas:Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll give it a try today and then tell you if your suggestion worked.
Dale Hoskins
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Dale!