Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2006 Subaru Forester, 56,000 miles. Issue: Binding up when

Customer Question

2006 Subaru Forester, 56,000 miles. Issue: Binding up when turning. What has been done: Pulled tail off of transmission, found no differential clutch solenoid. Dealer says its part of valve body and rarely goes bad.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

How are the tires?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tires are all the same and in excellent condition. This is an auto repair shop, that is one of the first things that was checked
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

How is the fluid level in front and rear differentials?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I have seen people service the front diffs and forget to fill it and it will bind when turning.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fluids are fine. all for wheels are jumping when turning. Dealer had told mechanic they have troubles with the clutch pack. No codes.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I am going to let another expert help out on this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Is it an automatic?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

There is a slot in the under hood fuse box for you to put a fuse in. This turns off the rear solenoid when you install a fuse. This will at least confirm the issue is the transfer clutches. You would need to test the pressure at the solenoid to confirm it being the clutch discs or the solenoid.

Agree with the dealer, the clutch discs are a more common issue then the solenoids, however sometimes a transmission fluid flush will free up the solenoid if it's the problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since I have the tail off the trans, are these the clutches for the AWD? Should I inspect them? I pulled this apart thinking this was like the older Subaru's. Sent picture
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

You can inspect, I don't have the spec for them, but since you have it apart, I would order a clutch kit and toss them in there. Remember to put some atf on them when you get them in and seated.