Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy. It began losing power on the

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy. It began losing power on the Interstate. As I pulled over the temperature spiked before I turn off the vehicle, and the engine light came on. Prior to turning it off, the engine sounded like it was a metal blender. It turns over, but just barely and has loud metal clanking sound. Dealership didn't review codes, but instead attempted to turn the car over and diagnosed it as a "dead" engine by ear.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: Engine sparks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Towed it to the Dealership where it sat for two days. They said they didn't have time to look at it. Now it's sitting in the driveway. Looked at oil level to make sure I didn't lose it - it's fine. Checked the antifreeze cap for foam.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine has 120,000 miles; recent timing belt replacement, all seals replaced around 90,000 miles; changed oil three days before car trouble; run full synthetic in engine
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

What is the compression in the cylinder?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a way to check that
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. What would you like to do with it? Or how may I be of assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wondered if based upon the information I provided, you could draw upon your experience and make a best guess. The car sits 5 hrs from my home, so I cant do much with it if it's dead other than maybe sell for parts. It will cost over $800 to get it towed back home.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or, if there is something I can do on my own to diagnose? It's been towed three times, and I feel like I'm throwing more money after a hopeless cause.