Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

96 subaru legacy, I purchased last Friday. Not starting when

Customer Question

96 subaru legacy, I purchased last Friday. Not starting when I purchased, Changed timing belt, amd it now starts but wont stay running, when I release key. The fuel pump relay clicks on and off about every 2 seconds. I can here fuel pump starting and stopping when relay clicks. Measured fuel pressure at 28psi. Only codes showing were throttle position sensor, which I replaced with used one, still no start. Also replaced ignition module with used one, still no start.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, recheck the timing marks at tdc

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sure timing is correct, It runs if I hold the key switch on starter,but keeps starter engaged

oh my bad, i misread the problem. sorry.

ok. then the solenoid isnt working correctly ......leave the key to the on position and jumper the starter relay. let me find a print. ill be back in a few

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The starter is working fine. The engine will only run when I hold the key switch on starter position, but this engages the starter and it is not good to have starter engaged when running. CAR SHUTS Off when I let go of switch.

well then the inhibit switch or the starter interupt switch isnt working correctly. they are directly tied to the ignition switch so i would suggest that you check those out. or theres a problem with the fusible link between the ignition switch and the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The fusible link appears to be ok. How would I check the starter switch? Is there a way to bypass the switch?

let me come up with a plan to bypass it...here is the print.

now that i think about it, all the inhibit switch is, is the neutral safety switch. so theres no sense to bypass that if the starter is engaging. just for shits and grins, try starting the car in all gear positions

you said you replaced the ignition module. so you replaced the ignition switch or the key cylinder?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you really a Subaru mechanic? I cannot say you have been helpful.

really? well ive given you what i can so i will opt out and let another tech try to help you.