Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Subaru Diagnostics

I have a flat and the tire dealer said I should replace all

Customer Question

I have a flat and the tire dealer said I should replace all of them on my outback. Do I???
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: No
JA: What year is your Outback?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I want is to put on a good tire
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Mechanically the car is fine
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, this is true. Due to the vehicle being full time all wheel drive, when replacing tires, the correct method is to replace all 4 at the same time. If the tires are mismatched, this can cause excessive wear on differential and axle parts which can result in premature failure of these items. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

If there were any other questions you had on this, or there was something I missed in my answer that you were hoping to have addressed, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!