Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

We found a large amout of oil under the car were could it be

Customer Question

we found a large amout of oil under the car were could it be coming from ?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

Have you had any recent service done on the car?
Is the oil in the front of the car or center? Can you give me a general location please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was all over the place it didnt look like motor oil probably from transmission does this car have a transfer case?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Well, it sort of has a transfer case, it's actually inside the main transmission. What color is the oil?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pretty clear maybe a little brownish
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Before going to far, can you be 100% sure it's not condensate from the air conditioning? If it's humid you may have an abundance of draining from the air.

If not, then you have to look at the point where the mess starts. If it's back at the tail shaft on the transmission, then it may be the tail shaft seal, if it's up front, could be the crank seal or even the oil filter. See if you can tell where the "front" of the oil leak is and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hard to say it was in front of the car and behind it it had to be under pressure to leak that much.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Have you recently had an oil change done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not in about 2000 miles and was some sort of oil it was very slick
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

My opinion here,

First, check the engine oil level. From the sounds of it, this should be low if the issue is oil leaking. That being said, 2k ago pretty much eliminates the seal for the oil filter. I realize from your description you are or at least I am thinking it's all over the bottom of the car. This doesn't require a lot of pressure if you are driving, it will blow backwards and coat the under side of the car.

If the oil level is fine, then I suggest you get it to a shop where they can get it up on a lift and really look it over. The only other place I think a high pressure oil leak would come from would be the oil pressure sensor up on the top of the engine.

The color makes me think engine oil, but also check the power steering fluid. The factory stuff is almost clear. Power steering could be a higher pressure leak and would be up front.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, I hadn't heard back from you so I wondered if you need further assistance with this?