Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2016 Outback with 2.5i engine. I just ordered a K &

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Outback with 2.5i engine. I just ordered a K & N air filter to replace the standard air filter for this car. I read a couple of posts about the MAP sensor and damage. K & N says there is no issue with any damage as part of their guarantee. Is this something to worry about? Thank you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Is it just the air filter or is it a cold air intake system?

Also, I assume it's a possible issue with the maf sensor and not the map sensor.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I personally have used the K&N air filters without any issues at all. One was on a nissan altima which has a very sensitive mass air flow sensor, the other is a cold air intake system on my mustang GT.

I have never had a single issue with either vehicle or a problem with the air filter. I suspect the issues you may be reading about were brought on by dirty air filters. This can cause some damage to the maf sensor.

As for the map sensor, this isn't going to be an issue at all for you. The map sensor is not in the duct work for the air filter and reads the Manifold Absolute Pressure. It's a different sensor all together.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I hadn't heard back from you so I was wondering if you need further assistance with this?