tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

My 2012 Subaru Outback has been having an intermittent

Customer Question

My 2012 Subaru Outback has been having an intermittent problem for 1 year now. The engine will jerk, threaten to stall. It feels like no fuel is reaching the engine when I press the accelerator. Four lights sometimes go along with this behavior including the Check Engine Light. This July it was determined by Subaru Flagstaff, AZ that the catalytic converter had failed. The following were replaced; exhaust pipe, flange bolts and nuts, gasket exhaust joint, catalytic converter, A/F sensor, oxygen sensor, etc. I picked up my vehicle July 15 and on July 17 it was jerking, trying to stall and the usual 4 warning lights were on, including check engine. I had it towed to Morehart Murphy Regional Auto Center. I will call them first thing tomorrow morning to discuss what is to be done. Do you have any ideas for them? I really want to get back to Michigan and the behavior of my car is putting me in dangerous situations. This will be my 7th attempt to have it fixed.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi sorry for all of your troubles. If it was at my shop I would check fuel pressure. Strength of spark. Resistance of crank and cam sensors. I would also check the transmission fluid for color and smell and also scan the transmission control module for codes.

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  tamaz replied 3 months ago.

Hi ,do these problems seem to occur when coming to a stop?If so it's a somewhat common problem,the transmission torque converter is staying in lock-up causing this,replacement of the torque converter will remedy this.Let me know so we can continue this conversation,thanks