tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

We had timing belt, water pump and head gasket replaced

Customer Question

We had timing belt, water pump and head gasket replaced because of a head gasket issue.
The vehicle was driven for less than a week, while driving on the interstate the timing belt
jumped time. Vehicle was towed back to same shop that replaced timing belt ect. I was told by the shop owner that the failure was due to having the intake control valve solenoid.
We had the solenoid replaced on our own, the shop did not make this repair. Shop told us that the solenoid being replaced caused engine to lose oil pressure and caused timing belt to slip or break causing damage to engine. Damage to engine consists of valves hitting pistons and causing valve and piston damage. My question is, could replacement of the solenoid have anything to due with current damage or were there other issues that could have been caused by original repairs performed by shop. Have spoke to other people who suggest that shop could have left something loose or made a mistake in installing new parts. We are out $1600.00 so far and now are faced with a complete engine replacement. Any help will be helpful.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 3 months ago.

Hi,this does not sound correct,was there a oil leak from the solenoid?Did the shop say what side was of the engine this happened to occur

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We were told that the replaced of the solenoid was the cause of the engine failure. What questions do I need to ask the shop.
I have checked the internet and have found nothing that would suggest the solenoid could cause this type of failure.
Expert:  tamaz replied 3 months ago.

I agree,so much potential for loose components here,In my over 25 years of mainly Subaru repairs I have never seen or heard of this.Losing oil pressure would cause severe wear to major engine components before it would cause the belt to jump time.