Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

2011 outback will not start. new battery, 1 month old.

Customer Question

2011 outback will not start. new battery, 1 month old. starter tests good.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no, faint clicking sound. 1 month
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, took out starter had it tested. tested good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Wife had car would not start. had it towed home. I tried my key, it started 2 times on the 3rd try just clicking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Did they test the starter solenoid?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Check the battery cables, make sure they are clean and tight. Check the ground cable as well, make sure you have a good ground. Your starter solenoid is what controls the high current side of the starter. It is activated with voltage from the ignition switch. Which is on a low current circuit. If the solenoid is sticking, it would cause a similar problem that you have.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have. Thanks Dan