Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an ASE tech

I need detailed instructions the fuel tank in a 1990 Subaru

Customer Question

I need detailed instructions for replacing the fuel tank in a 1990 Subaru Legacy (with pictures). Is that something you can provide?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I have enclosed the steps in the links below for removing and replacing your fuel tank.

Have a look and see if this is what your needing. If not, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ronnie,
This is not what I need. I need detailed instructions for each of those steps. For example, "remove rear differential and crossmember.." I need pictures that show what I need to be removing in order to accomplish that.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Okay see those steps (rear diff) in this link, let me know if there are other steps you need and I will get those as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The picture of the gas tank that you sent doesn't look like mine. Mine is AWD, if that makes a difference. To remove the axle shafts, do I just remove the 5 bolts on the outside of the differential? From the drawing it looks like the splines go into the differential a long way. How do I get them out and do they have to be aligned a certain way to reassemble? Is it possible to leave the differential attached to the crossmember and just lower the whole assembly together enough to get the tank out?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey, are you out there? I need answers to the questions I asked, and I need a lot of pictures. I am not a mechanic, but I know my way around the shop. So if you can give me some decent information I think I can get this job done. If you have pages out of Chilton's manual that detail ALL of the steps in replacing this tank, please send them. Everything you sent so far is stuff I can get from auto zone.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately due to the age of the car there are not many pictures available. I have sent you all I have access to. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has more to offer.