Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a Subaru outback 2.2 wagon. It has not been run a

Customer Question

I have a Subaru outback 2.2 wagon. It has not been run for about a year. I tried to start it recently, but it would not start, It fires on two cylinders. It will run on all four up to 1,000 rpm, then start missing. I replace the coil pack, and it did not help.
I plug in several OBD readers, but all (3) indicated could not connect to the computer.leon
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Check all fuses. Also do a compression test on the bank that is misfiring, you could have dropped valve guides.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dan,
I did check the fusses. I checked one plug, and it was clean. I am not hearing any engine noise. My concern is the OBD reader (3 of them) indicated no connection.
leon
leon
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

The OBD-II data link connector on this MY Subarus doesn't give you much to work with. Basically the only thing you can check without a scope is voltage (pin 16) and ground (pins 4 and 5). Does the check engine light come on when the ignition is first turned on? Does it turn off once the engine starts?