Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Occasionally the Indicator lights (clock, mpg, temp, radio)

Customer Question

Occasionally the Indicator lights (clock, mpg, temp, radio) will be dark when car is started. Windshield wipers won't work either. If I turn engine off and restart the lights and wipers all function. I'm worried it will happen again and not fix itself. This is on a 2009 Subaru Forester
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

This could be an indication of a faulty ignition switch. I have seen this issue in the past and some of the items that will only work with the key on begin failing. You could also check the blower motor as well. This is something that you should have repaired as eventually, you are right, it will not work. Also, if the airbag light is on, it could be an issue with the roll cable for the drivers air bag. Personally I think you should have the dealer replace the ignition switch if it's found to be the problem. The key will have to be programmed with the dealer scan tool so the security will not prevent the car from starting.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!